Indonesian Ginger Chicken
(recipe from Ina Garten)
I am always looking for interesting ways to cook basic types of meat, especially chicken. And Ina Garten always has reliable recipes. For this dish, you marinate the chicken for a whole day before cooking, and then it cooks in the marinade. That and using bone-in chicken thighs, gives a really tender and flavorful piece of chicken.
I pretty much follow Ina’s recipe, but I am going to share a few small changes with you. First, Ina suggests chopping the ginger and garlic. But I think it’s easier and faster to peel and very roughly chop them and finish in the food processor. It takes a fraction of the time.
Second, when you turn the chicken over halfway through cooking, I edited it a little. Ina says to cook 30 minutes at 350 then 30 at 375. I say 30 minutes at 350, 15 at 375, and 15 at 425. That is how you get the skin crispy.
Third, I use bone-in chicken thighs instead of cutting up a whole chicken. I just think it’s easier.
Total Time: 1 ½ hours
Difficulty Level: Easy
10 cloves of fresh garlic
1 medium sized knob of fresh ginger
1 cup honey
3/4 cup soy sauce
8 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Peel the garlic, and add it to a food processor. Peel and roughly chop the ginger. Add it to the food processor and pulse until it’s all minced.
- Add the garlic, ginger, honey, and soy sauce to a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes over medium.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin side down, to a casserole dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs. Make sure all the chicken is thoroughly covered, marinate for at least 12 hours, but 24 hours is better.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Cook the chicken covered for 35 minutes. Remove the chicken, turn the thighs over so they’re skin side up. Turn the oven up to 375. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Turn the oven up to 425, and finish cooking for 15 minutes. Test the chicken by cutting into it. When it’s done, the juices will run clear.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.
[originally published 9/19/2016]
[pictures updated 2/13/2017]