Thai Beef Stir Fry
(Hello Fresh Recipe)
I lucked out getting this recipe. My friend Sue subscribes to Hello Fresh, and she gave me a week of free meals! That was pretty exciting. I didn’t keep the subscription after the free meals, but I can really see the appeal. Each week you get three meals with all the ingredients needed to make them. It forces you outside your comfort zone. Of the 3 meals I got, Thai Beef Stir Fry was my favorite.
Until I got this meal kit, I didn’t realize that you could buy “Thai Seasoning.” But it’s just like getting an Italian seasoning or fajita seasoning. I couldn’t find Thai seasoning at my local grocery store, but you can order it here on Amazon.
The whole thing took about 30 minutes to make, and I’ve actually made it again quite a few times since. I usually double the recipe so Jon can take leftovers to work.
This recipe is directly transcribed from my Hello Fresh recipe card. I actually tried to find it online somewhere so I could pin it and throw the card away, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
10 ounces lean ground beef
1 serrano pepper
½ fresh basil
2 cloves garlic
1 red bell pepper
6 ounces of fresh green beans
¾ cup basmati rice
1 teaspoon of Thai seasoning
¾ cup light coconut milk
Cooking oil (I used coconut oil)
- Prep the veggies: Wash and dry all produce. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice the scallion, keeping the greens and white separated. Core, seed, and remove the white ribs from the bell pepper, then thinly slice. Mince or grate the garlic. Thinly slice the serrano pepper, removing the seeds if you prefer less heat. Slice the lime into wedges. Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and discard the stems.
- Make the coconut rice. Bring ¾ cup coconut milk, ¾ cup water, and a large pinch of salt to a boil in a small pot. Once boiling, add the rice, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Roast the green beans. Toss the greening on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes, until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Cook the veggies: Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, tossing for 5-6 minutes, until soft. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and a bit of serrano pepper (to taste) to the pan and cook, tossing for 1-2 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the beef: Add the ground beef and Thai seasoning to the same pan and cook, breaking up the meat into pieces, until browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the torn basil.
- Finish and serve: Fluff the coconut rice with a fork. Plate on a bed of rice, and top with the Thai Beef stir fry, crispy green beans, and reserved scallion greens. Squeeze a lime wedge over top, and enjoy!